BAD HAIR DAYS

There is nothing that upsets a modern woman more than a look in the mirror that tells her she’s in for a Bad Hair Day. Sometimes her hair just refuses to obey orders and in fact rebels in every possible way, leading to a situation wherein she just wants to pull it out, altogether! She combs it frantically, wets it, pleads with it, prays to God, tries every trick in the book, but her hair still looks as if its just been cropped by a lawn mower which is in need of serious repair.

How do I know all this, may well be the question, but we’ll leave that one unanswered
for now. Lets just say that a woman and her hair are inseparable companions (hopefully, for her sake!), and that her mood often swings from the sublime to the ridiculous depending on the state of the foliage on her head.

Ladies with extremely short hair are of course likely to be luckier than others and more akin to us men who are fortunate to face bad-hair-days only on the rarest of occasions. Females with longer hair-dos (shoulder-length seems to be par-for-the-course nowadays, as one looks around), are the ones most likely to be affected by BHDs. The fact that they insist on leaving their hair open nowadays, as opposed to tying it neatly up, also adds to the risk of these trendy girls being afflicted by the disease. Therefore it is common for a strand here and a strand there, being totally askew, thus getting the lady in question more looks on such a day than she would otherwise have done!

Recently I’ve learnt through an extremely reliable source that hair-straightening is the current fad among the fairer sex. One would think that they had always wanted to
“seedha- karo” their hair for being petulant on occasion, but this new trend is really baffling. A perfectly nice curly or wavy hair-do is replaced by a hair style which looks as if it’s just had a dressing down from the school principal, whereas in reality the young thing has just paid a bomb for getting it straightened. Women are difficult to understand on most occasions, but sometimes they can take even the wisened male onlooker by surprise.

On my part, the only really bad-hair-day I’ve had was when my younger daughter came
and stood behind me as I was seated at the dining table. “Papa all your hair has turned white!” she exclaimed, as if in shock. Askance at this horrible piece of breaking news, I rushed to the nearest mirror, only to find that most of it was still black, thank God. Turning towards her, befuddled as I was, with a quizzical look, I demanded an explanation for her statement. “Papa, most of it is white, I just saw it”, she retorted. A second look at the mirror told me that 10 percent of it was indeed white and that’s what she had meant by “most”. (Excitable kids are known to exaggerate, I reassured myself). That hair-raising incident notwithstanding, I offer my strongest sympathies to the fairer sex, for the BHD syndrome could crop-up upon them, any day without warning.

No comments: