Always on Time

My late grandfather was so particular about punctuality that he would tick off even those who were just 2 minutes late (by his watch). Legend has it that he himself had never been late for any appointment, throughout his life. He used to tell us about the days when he actually ordered the termination of the services of a dozen employees under his command, who were habitual late comers.

We Indians are by and large not very particular about time. Many weddings and other social occasions which are scheduled to begin at 8 pm, actually see some action at around 10 pm. An early bird may find even the hosts missing when he arrives at such dos! Many official invitations carry a note stating the time when one is expected to be seated, only to ensure that there are a respectable number of people in the audience when the Chief Guest arrives (just in case he arrives on time).

Meetings in offices often see some stragglers reporting at a time when all decisions have been taken, and only tea and cookies are left on the agenda. It is only with some strict seniors that no one dares to take such liberties. Indeed it is amazing to see just how punctual some late-lateefs can become when faced with the prospect of disciplinary action.

Lovers are known to go into a huff when their beloved turns up late for a date. Sometimes the offending party has to go to great lengths to appease the miffed one. The boyfriend is the one who normally ends up shelling out much more than his budgetary provision, if he dares to keep his girl waiting. He may have to buy her a bunch of flowers or worse, a bracelet, to restore peace and tranquility.

A sister in law of mine is prone to waking up late and therefore remains behind schedule for most of the day. Once when she was to pick the family up from the station in New Delhi, we were worried because the train was over an hour late, and she would be waiting in the heat, or so we thought. These were pre-mobile phone days and there was no way of getting across to her. When we finally arrived and did not find her at the designated spot, we wondered if she’d gone back. But lo and behold, there she was suddenly, driving into the station before our eyes, oblivious to the train delay, and asking us if we’d been waiting long. Thank God for late trains,
we thought!

My grandfather would indeed not have been pleased at such laxity. In fact on the day of his demise, as we reached the crematorium, my uncle happened to look at his watch which indicated the time to be 1pm, correct to the second, the appointed time. “Even today, Daddy is exactly on time!” he exclaimed. We could only nod in agreement.

2 comments:

Ashu said...

Well, my Dear and respected Sir, this reminds me of my first visit to the UK (August 1986)under UNESCO Fellowship where I was one of the 16 trainees from under developed & developing countries. My course director after formal intro asked us to be punctual from the next day as the classes start at 9am sharp! And the word 'sharp' was pronounced by him by looking directly towards me. I felt offended but kept quiet. Taking a cab daily to the BBC OUPC in Milton Keynes, rushing thru breakfast in the BBC canteen, I made it a point to be the first one in the class and was on the first desk all through the course. I performed and excelled in all the exercises & practicals, and won three sweatshirts with BBC TV logo. Two days before the closing ceremony (December 1986), Jack (Koumi) came and told me that the course team and Colin Robinson, Director, BBC Open University Production Centre want me to be the spokesperson on behalf of the participants. A grand event in the Network Studio 1 is on the anvil and all the ambassadors of the participating countries are coming, he informed. I gave my consent but not before asking him about his first day address. Jack smiled and said 'you see, Ashutosh I have been to your country thrice and was shocked to notice that people there have no respect for time.' I looked in to his eyes and asked him what is his opinion now. 'India is changing and I am so glad it IS' he winked.
I was on cloud nine as if I have done something extra ordinary. Ever since, I have tried to be punctual and reach couple of minutes before. In case I am held up, I do make it a point to inform if I can make it or not around 15 minutes before the appointed time.

Vivek Atray said...

Thanka Ashutosh ji. Your comment is really apt. Am always grateful for your support and encouragement